Why a Deaf Church such as
Why a Deaf Church such as St. Barnabas?
Why have separate services in American Sign Language? Why not use interpreters at services to integrate deaf people?
- ASL is the primary means of communication for a large section of the deaf community.
- In a signed service, the emphasis is on the visual.
- The pace of the service is measured for the use of ASL.
- Deaf people fully participate without having to use interpreters.
- Members of the congregation serve in any capacity such as Lay Eucharistic Ministers, Lay Readers, chairs of committees and all other leadership positions.
- Having a Vicar who is skilled in ASL makes possible one-on-one personal counseling and general ease of communication with the congregation.
- The content of the sermon is focused on and relates to the Deaf community and Deaf culture.